Here's How - Guidelines for Communication
When it comes to managing time spent on classroom communication, knowing what works comes with practice and experience. No two classes will ever be the same; however, here are a few recommended strategies that may help. Consider the following:
- Use public posting areas, such as discussion forums, or email announcements, for questions of general interest to the entire class. Students come to rely on accessing announcements posted in a general format if used consistently (Ragan & Terheggen, 2003, p.27).
- Create a student FAQ to address commonly asked questions.
- Use the right communication tool for the right task. For example, if a question requires a simple announcement, use email. If the question requires discussion between you and the students, use the discussion forum.
- Establish office hour routines for regular and planned interaction with the students.
- Establish and notify students of reasonable response times to their queries so they know what to expect.