Here's How - Building Community
Discussion activities can take many forms. Aside from initial introductions, here are a few suggestions:
- Ask students to contribute meaningful feedback to their classmates' posts. (Provide clear examples, guidelines and expectations of what constitutes "meaningful.")
- Try online debates, role plays, problem solving activities, journals and group projects.
- Assign readings and have students discuss topics within smaller groups.
- Invite subject matter experts from the field to participate in Q & A sessions.
- Have parents (and community members) participate in topics of local concern.
- Incorporate optional face-to-face outings to community events and have students share experiences.
Discussion Question: What are your favorite types of discussion activities?