Here's How - Student Assessment
2. Clearly state the course grading policy
Posting your course grading policy in the course syllabus ensures students have a clear guide as to how their grades will be calculated.
According to QM, a course grading policy should include:
- A clearly written statement explaining how course grades will be computed.
- A breakdown of the points, percentages and weights for each component of the course grade.
- An explanation of the relationship between points, percentages, weights and letter grades.
- The instructor's policy on late submissions.
Since students are likely to focus efforts on course elements that affect their grades, consider what is going to be most valuable to their academic growth in your course.
For example, if you want students to meaningfully participate in online discussions, be sure to include participation as part of the grading policy.